Have you ever thought how much easier it would be to stick to your healthy eating goals if you never left your house? Although that may be true, it just isn’t realistic. So, we’re arming you with some tips to help you eat smart no matter where the day takes you!
The following are some snack suggestions for when you’re on-the-go:
1. Best strategy? Space your meals out over the day, taking something from each meal to eat 2-3 hours later. For example, if you usually eat cereal, milk, fruit and a yogurt, save the yogurt for a snack!
2. If you’re on the run, pack a cup of nonfat or low fat yogurt and a cup of low sugar cereal in a Baggie, (I like Bran Flakes or Cheerios) and when you get to work or school, just mix them together for a crunchy snack.
3. Make a quick shake with a cup of nonfat milk, ½ banana or a cup of berries, and some crushed ice. Then pour it in a to-go cup and be on your way!
4. You can eat half of your lunch and save the other half for a snack a couple of hours later.
5. Some calorie “free” snacks (less than 30 calories) that you can make ahead of time and carry with you or keep at your desk are:
- Cut-up veggies like baby carrots or cut-up carrots, celery, red pepper, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower…all “crunchy” veggies are great snacks, and very handy.
- 2 cups of air-popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup watermelon or cantaloupe
- 12 pretzel sticks
6. Or if you want something a bit more robust, try these at about 60 calories per snack:
- A serving of fruit: 1 medium apple, peach, pear, or nectarine; a small orange, ½ grapefruit, 12 cherries, 15 grapes, ½ banana, 1 cup of berries
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup of nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup of nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 small shrimp
7. Keep a large bowl of sugar free jello in your refrigerator, and you can have as much as you want. Enjoy sodium-free club soda with a squeeze of lemon or lime, and a diet soda now and then is fine. Don’t forget, drink cool, clear, refreshing plain water, so important for a healthy metabolism and to fill yourself up!