Fighting late night cravings was one of the hardest challenges that I faced when I decided to lose weight. If you have the same problem, you’re not alone. A common refrain is:
I don’t know what it is about that time of day, but I find myself snacking on both salty and sweet foods. Sometimes I eat too much, but it doesn’t matter how much I eat: I know I won’t lose weight if I am eating those extra calories late at night.
I’ve done some research, and here are the best tips (give a couple of them a try and let me know how they work, or if you have other ideas…).
- Brush your teeth. I know I know, you’ve heard this one before… You trick your taste buds with a game-changing play. It’s old school, but it works! Give it a try!
- Whitening strips. I read about this as an addition to the tooth-brushing strategy. With a whitening strip, you literally can’t indulge your cravings, plus your mouth is happy because something’s in it! As an added bonus, you get whiter teeth!
- Keep raw food on hand. Raw veggies may be boring at other times of the day, but I find them really helpful for late night snacking. If you know you need something to crunch on, why not have carrots handy—at least you give yourself a fighting chance!
- Make a pampering list. Pampering yourself in other ways can give you the same satisfaction as eating… What else can you do to substitute for the soothing feelings you get from eating late at night? Play a video game? Paint your nails? Surf the Internet? Take a bath? Can you think of some things you can do that won’t interrupt your favorite activities too much (these tend to be key snacking times)?
- Beauty mask. And, in the case of a beauty mask, you can’t eat if you have one on…and you’ll have a shining face!!!