The days are getting longer and warmer – a clear indication that Spring is here and Summer is just around the corner. And as we all know, Summer means swimsuit season! Now is the time to really focus on getting ready to rock your bathing suit.
We’ve pulled together these 6 tips to help you get started. Make this the year you stop hiding behind your towel and enjoy your time spent by the pool or at the beach.
- Get your sweat on with strength training! If you want a bikini body, this is non-negotiable: Fit your workout in, no excuses! Commit to a full-body strength-training program at least three times a week to burn calories during the workout, boost your metabolism’s calorie-burning power for 24 to 48 hours after, and develop lean muscles that look and feel better than flab. Perform exercises that use more than one muscle group such as squats, pushups, rows, and lunges in a circuit to make your workouts most efficient. [source]
- Keep guzzling down the water! Staying well hydrated will not only keep your skin looking clearer but it will also help reduce any bloating you are experiencing from the foods you eat. If you aren’t getting 7-8 glasses a day, now is a great time to start. [source]
- Reduce your intake of refined sugars and carbs. According to Body+Soul’s personal trainer Kristy Welsh, “your intake of these two things is directly related to the amount of tummy fat you have.” Their skin care therapist Naomi Nahoum agrees, adding that these also contribute to the production of cellulite. “When foods are refined or processed, they’re generally high GI, which means more sugar. And when sugar isn’t burnt off, it’s stored as fat – which, over time, can become cellulite.” Easing up now on your intake of things such as chocolate, pastries, white pasta and rice and chips will prevent you from having to make drastic and hard-to-keep diet changes closer to summer. [source]
- Increase your fiber intake. So what makes fiber so important? According to SkinnyMom, a high-fiber diet is generally lower in calories but also makes you feel fuller faster and longer. Fiber requires more chewing, slows down eating, and gives our body more time to send signals that say, “STOP! I’m full!” which keeps you from overeating. If you’re prepping for a bikini, stick to lean proteins and high-fiber foods. Some examples of that are lean beef, lamb, salmon, egg whites and tofu. Also, make quinoa and lots and lots of veggies a staple in EVERY meal! The words “clean” and “lean” are key here. [source]
- Focus on these 35 foods. From bananas, which minimize belly fat thanks to potassium, to mustard, which boosts your metabolism, eating certain foods can make a substantial impact on helping you reach your goals. Eat This, Not That has put together a comprehensive list of foods, and their bathing suit boosting benefits, to help you decide which ones to focus on. Find the full list here.
- Posture, posture, posture! You’ll be amazed what a difference just standing up straight makes to your appearance. And you can start focusing on your posture right this very minute. According to Women’s Health Magazine, “think about tucking your hips underneath and tightening up your stomach as if you were going to be punched. Improving your posture will instantly make you look thinner—even if you haven’t lost a pound yet!—and train your body to hold everything in once you’re in a swimsuit. Every 15 minutes, set an alarm for a ‘posture check’ to train your body: If you’re standing, stand up straight and hold everything. If you’re sitting, pull those shoulders back and engage your stomach muscles.” [source]
And remember, your confidence is one of the key factors in pulling off just about any bathing suit you want. Regardless of where you are in your weight loss journey, be proud of the steps you’ve taken, and are taking, to reach your goals. Wear that pride as a badge of honor and embrace this swimsuit season!
Need a little extra motivation to help you hit your goals? Sign up for a personal HealthyWager and win up $10,000 for losing weight. Just think of all the new swimsuits you could buy with those winnings!