At the start of every new year, almost everyone jumps on the resolution wagon, but the motivation seems to fade fast! A few weeks later, you find yourself in danger of falling off the wagon.
Here are some essential keys to making this year YOUR year. Together with some of our Top 50 Weight Loss Bloggers, we’ve put together this list of ways to help you stick to that weight loss resolution.
10. “Don’t make any changes that you’re not willing to do forever. Instead of following the fads, just make small, simple, do-able changes that you can continue for the rest of your life.” – Katie, Runs for Cookies
9. “It is far easier to eat less sugar than you think. Don’t obsess about ketchup or sugar in your coffee. Just stop eating cookies, cake, candy, and drinking soda. You will cut way down and make a big impact on your overall health.” – Lisa, Snack Girl
8. “When it comes to losing weight, I recommend keeping a food journal. Not every week is going to be a success. Some weeks, I have a gain on the scale; some weeks I have a loss. When I have a good week, I like to look back on what I ate. It’s like my own personal recipe for success!” – Kay, Goal of Losing
7. “Break your goal for the year into smaller, more manageable increments. For example, if your goal is to lose 50 pounds, don’t focus on that whole 50 pounds. Rather, focus on 5 pounds at a time. It’s easy to get overwhelmed and give up if you’re not making progress towards the big picture! Losing 1 pound out of 50 can feel discouraging, but 1 pound out of 5 feels like such awesome progress!” – Mindy, Just A One Girl Revolution
6. “Find new and exciting meals to prepare that are healthy so you don’t feel like you are eating the same boring meal over and over again. Also, if you happen to go off track, don’t beat yourself up, just push forward and start again.” – Bonnie, We Make 7
5. “Be aware of your trigger foods, and if they present a problem for you, then do NOT keep them in your house. If you live with other people that enjoy your trigger foods, simply ask them to keep them in a place where they are not visible to you!” – Julie, The Weight of My Weight
4. “Remind yourself about all the healthy foods you like and stock up your fridge with them. Make it easy for yourself to eat healthy things.” – Monica, Run Eat Repeat
3. Create a sustainable exercise plan and commit to completing it at least 3 days a week. Book the time with yourself like you would any other appointment; don’t view it as something that can be easily cancelled.
2. Train yourself to eat smarter portions by paying attention while eating. Put your fork down between bites, sit down to eat and make each meal an event, and avoid distracted dining (which can lead to mindless munching) by turning off the TV and putting down your smartphone while eating.
1. Sign up for a HealthyWager. Put some skin in the game and make an investment in your health. The financial incentive of our games provides successful weight loss motivation. And nothing will help you stick to that weight loss resolution better than knowing that you have a big cash prize waiting for you when you hit your goal.
Do you have other tips and tricks that are helping you keep your weight loss resolution this year? Share them with us in the comments or on Facebook.