This recipe is impressive enough to serve to company, yet easy and healthy enough to make it a part of your regular dinnertime rotation.
If you are not a fan of tilapia, the recipe works equally well with any other kind of delicate, white fish.
Tilapia with Cornmeal Crust & Tomato Basil Sauce
Servings: 6 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 6 – 10 minutes
For the sauce:
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Handful fresh basil leaves, cut in chiffonade or torn into small strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
1. Combine all ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use. Can be made up to 24 hours ahead.
For the Fish
- 6 tilapia fillets, about 1 pound
- 1 c. cornmeal seasoned to taste with salt & pepper
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 lemon or 2 T. lemon juice
1. Lightly cover both sides of tilapia fillets with seasoned cornmeal.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter. Cook tilapia in melted butter, 3 minutes per side.
3. Place fish on plates and squeeze lemon over the top. Add tomato basil sauce on top to that. Enjoy!